Rice Krispies Treat Easter Baskets
- ¼ teaspoon water
- 2 to 4 drops green food coloring (you can also purchase or make your own natural version if your child is sensitive to artificial food dyes)
- ½ cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 ounces, or about 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies®
- Cooking spray
- Optional: Jelly beans
- In a small bowl, stir together water and food coloring. Add coconut. Stir until coconut is tinted. Spread on baking sheet to dry.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add Kellogg’s Rice Krispies® cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Divide warm mixture into sixteen 2 ½-inch muffin tin cups coated with cooking spray. Shape mixture into individual cups. Press thumb imprint in middle. Cool and then remove from pans.
- Fill cooled nests with coconut, marshmallows, jelly beans or chocolate eggs. Best served the same day.
- Nutrition Facts: (Jelly beans not included)
- 105 calories, 3.5 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 17 grams carbohydrate, 0 grams fiber, 7 grams sugar, 1 gram protein, 8% vitamin A, 8% vitamin C, 0% calcium, 15% iron
- Photography by Todd Porter and Diane Cu
- Styled by Jacqueline deMontravel, Amanda Heer and Kathy Jo Peterson
Good Food For Kids, Good Food For Life http://www.goodfoodforkids.org/