We’re all told to “Eat the Rainbow”, right? Make the task more fun with these colorful, protein rich appetizers!
Rainbow-Colored Deviled Eggs
- 10 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 3 drops food coloring per color
- ½ cup olive oil based mayonnaise
- Mustard, chopped chives, ground pepper, bacon bits, to taste (optional)
- Pinch of paprika, for garnish
- Put eggs in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain water using a colander and cool the eggs with cold running water.
- Peel the eggs, and then cut them in half. Put the yolks in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- Fill drinking glasses (one glass per color) with around 6 ounces of water and add the food coloring. Add 1 teaspoonful of cider vinegar to each glass and mix.
- Place the eggs in each color and take them out after 1-2 minutes, or until desired color is achieved. Dry eggs on a paper towel.
- Mash the yolks with a fork until crumbs are a small, uniform size and add ½ cup mayonnaise.
- Add a little more mayonnaise if more creaminess is desired. Fill the eggs with the yolk mixture by hand using a teaspoon or use a food decorator. Fill the eggs, but not completely (so you don’t run out).
- Then, go back add a little more yolk mixture to the tops of each. Garnish with a pinch of paprika.
- 115 calories, 8 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 195 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 2 grams carbohydrate 0 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar, 7 grams protein, 6% vitamin A, 0% vitamin C, 4% calcium, 4% iron
Good Food For Kids, Good Food For Life http://www.goodfoodforkids.org/