Hungry for breakfast on New Years Day? Start your family’s morning off right with comforting Homemade Hashbrowns and Decadent Bruleed Bacon. Serve these with your favorite style of eggs–scrambled, over easy or whatever your family adores.
Prep time: 15 minutes…
Cook time: 35 minutes
1 pound potatoes, washed and cut into 1-inch dice
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup chopped onion
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the potatoes. Boil until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chopped onion and sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes. Add the potatoes and season again with salt and pepper. Stir well.
3. Drizzle the second tablespoon of olive oil into the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Decadent Bruleed Bacon
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
8 slices thick-cut bacon
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 40°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and top with a baking rack.
2. Place the slices of bacon on the rack and bake for 15 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes, until browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and move the oven rack (carefully!) to the top position so that it’s about 4-5 inches from the top heating element.
3. Turn the broiler on high.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Divide the mixture evenly among the bacon slices and return to the oven. Broil for 1-2 minutes until the sugar mixture is browned and bubbly. Be sure to watch it carefully as it broils, because the bacon will go from well-done to burnt very quickly.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool before enjoying.