Perfect cold weather soup. This recipe is a favorite in our house. Unfortunately, this honor is one largely stemming from me as our boys (1 and 3) will hardly go near a soup or stew. I have to maintain hope that ONE DAY they will embrace this soul warming dish that is crazy easy to make.
While I typically stock up on a classic vegetarian, lentil soup, the addition of sausage? Totally brings this dish to a new level (one that even my husband will bite into!).
With merely minutes of prep work, the soup will come together on its own with the slave labor courtesy of your stove or slow cooker (a couple of my besties!). Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have!
Sausage + Lentil Soup
Protein packed, fiber rich, and ready in minutes. What else should a recipe do for you?
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 ounces turkey sausage,
- chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 ½ ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup lentils
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onions and celery, stirring about 3 minutes or until softened. Add sausage and cook, while stirring, until brown. Add the spices and herbs, stirring for another 2 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and lentils, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add fresh spinach, stir and simmer until wilted. Serve hot.
Good Food For Kids, Good Food For Life http://www.goodfoodforkids.org/