Do you want a dinner that’s perfect to eat while sitting around the fire with your family? Try our recipe for hearty, home-style chili:
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours (in a slow cooker)
1 pound ground beef
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can of tomato sauce
2 (15.5 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1) In a large saucepan, brown the beef. Mix in the garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper.
2) Dice the bell pepper and onion and add to the mixture. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables start to soften.
3) While the meat mixture is cooking, let your kids pour in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and 2 cans of beans into the slow cooker.
4) Drain the meat mixture and add to the slow cooker.
5) Add the basil, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste
6) Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Ladle into bowls and serve
Recipe and photo courtesy of Yum Food and Fun for Kids Staff